Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blueberry-Buttermilk Scones

Every Thursday I work from home.  I love it.  I can work in my pajamas, sleep in a little bit and bake!  I usually try and bake something every Thursday but sometimes it's tough to decide what to bake so I need to look for inspiration.  This Thursday we went to breakfast and the place had an open kitchen and I saw someone using a pastry blender to make something yummy so I decided I needed to make scones.

But before I get to the recipe let me talk about my breakfast.  First of all, we went to Mama's on Washington Square.  It's a very popular and place.  Case in point: we got there at 8:15 am and still had to wait for 30 minutes.  But it was worth the wait.  I had delicious chocolate cinnamon french toast with fresh fruit.  My socks?  Rocked right off!


But now onto the recipe.  I usually make muffins or something on the healthier side but sometimes you just want a baked good in the morning that has a little more butter in it (not Paula Deen style but more than nothing) so these scones fit the bill.

I used this recipe from one of my favorite blogs.

First you mix all of the dry ingredients together:


Then you take cold butter and cut it into small pieces:


Now using a pastry blender and cut the butter into the dry ingredients like this until it resembles a crumb like substance.


Kinda like this:


Now you add the blueberries.  So it makes it a lil healthier.  Woo woo antioxidants!


Mix in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.  You'll knead it out next and pat it into a circle.  Some of the blueberries will pop as you knead but that cool.  I was afraid that my scones would turn a little purple but they don't.


After this you'll cute the scones into 12 pieces.  I like to make them into triangles but you can do whatever shape.


I then sprinkle them with sanding sugar.  Basically bigger pieces of sugar.  You are supposed to first brush the scones with a beaten egg.  Unfortunately I only had one egg on hand and I had to use it in the scones.  I know, I know a baker only having one egg on hand is kinda like me not having flour in my cupboards (but not worry I have 5 types of flour in my kitchen and I don't think that's overkill :)


Now bake 'em!


They came out nice and golden brown.  And of course I had to eat one right out of the oven when they're nice and hot.  Perfect with a cup of tea and all my work on a rainy SF Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment