Friday, May 27, 2011

When life hands you lemons...

you can make a whole lot more than lemonade.  Recently I have had a whole lotta lemons and surprise, surprise I decided to bake with them.  I have also been on a blueberry kick since being in Croatia and drinking blueberry tea and eating blueberry gelato (what up, antioxidants!) so these recipes combine my two recent loves.
It's actually funny because I used to hate anything lemon.  But I read somewhere that your taste buds change every 7 years.  (Disclaimer: I "read" and "hear" a lot of facts and sometimes don't remember them quite right so don't quote me on this.  It's like one theory I heard that red heads can tolerate pain more than other hair colors but then someone else don't me we handle pain worse.  I'm totally going with the former theory.  But I'm off subject, sorry!)  Anyways, moral of the story: I'm super glad I gave lemons another chance.

Here is my healthy lemon blueberry muffin recipe.  Except I used half whole wheat flour, added more lemon zest to the muffins and didn't do the icing - too messy.
Then it was my dear cousin, Ne's birthday and I (obvi) was in charge of dessert.  Now I love Ne but we are a lil different.  Case in point: she isn't a huge dessert fan (!) and she remembers the time I cried when I found out there wasn't dessert one night after dinner - tragic evening.  So the pressure was on to find something she would like and I came to the conclusion of cheesecake.
Now this lemon curd marbled cheesecake comes from my Auntie but I added the blueberry sauce (taking out the nutmeg, adding more lemon juice and adding cornstarch to thicken it up.)  This was my first time making cheesecake and my second (and thankfully better) time at conquering lemon curd.  And I don't mean to toot my own horn but it was delicious.  Even Ne thought so ;)
Plus yellow and blue are such pretty, pretty colors together whether it be a kitchen, wedding or food! 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE lemon curd. I also LOVE making lifer super complicated by doing things like making a sauce for a cheesecake, when it was prob perfectly fine on its own.
    I use WW flour all the time, and as much as I am "go, health food, go!" sometimes I only use half WW and half AP in recipes, because darn it, AP is just so light and airy!
    P.S. It's true we red heads do have a higher pain tolerance. Although, maybe only physically, as your crying over no dessert proves we have some mental weaknesses. :)

    ReplyDelete