Friday, March 25, 2011

Just Call Me Popeye

Tomorrow is National Spinach Day and I LOVE spinach!  Seriously, I put it in everything.  I make spinach salads, sauté it up and put it in my quesadillas or pasta sauce, add it to my Top Ramen soup, anything!  And sometime I would like to attempt to puree it and add it to chocolate cupcakes as natural green dye to make green velvet cupcakes.  You won’t even be able to tell that it’s there, promise.  And that’s the beauty of spinach – it packs so much healthiness yet you hardly know it’s there.  That Popeye was onto something…

So I would like to share one of my favorite salad dressing recipes.  This is a recipe of my grandma’s and my mom makes it all the time.  It is a poppy seed vinaigrette that I happen to adore on a bed of spinach greens with feta crumbles and craisins or sliced strawberries!  Yummmm.  And so pretty too!


Spinach Salad Dressing:

1 cup salad oil (canola, vegetable, etc)
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon grated onion
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Use either a blender or emulsifier (hand blender) and blend all of the ingredients, except the poppy seeds.  Blend until sugar is dissolved.  Then stir in the poppy seeds.  Refrigerate. 

Enjoy!  (and don't forget to check your teeth for poppy seeds stuck in them after you eat this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment