Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And then a hero comes along

Heros are everywhere.  There are lots of songs about them (including one of my favs by my love Enrique Iglesias.  Note: this is where I would swoon!)  We all have heros.  They come in many different forms and are unique to each individual.  I too have lots of heros but recently I found a new one...

I ran a 10k race on Sunday.  It was a fantastic race: beautiful weather, community supported, for a good cause (getting kids out there and exercising!) and Whole Foods put it on.  Awesome, right?  Well running is something I love to do.  Yes, I did say love.  But sometimes I do complain about it.  Sometimes I don't want to pull myself out of bed to go running again.  But I saw someone on Sunday that made me remember that I am blessed to have the ability to get out there and run and that it can be so easy for me.

A new hero of mine is someone whose name I do not know but I do admire.  I saw a young mom who had clearly undergone chemo running and pushing two kids in a stroller as she did this.  This woman with the gorgeous scarf on her bald head and two beautiful kids made me tear up (disclaimer: I can get emotional at random times and this is one of them.)  She made me realize that I have it easy, that I should cherish my runs not matter how tired I am, that running and being healthy isn't something I should take for granted.  I am proud to see her out there running and happy to see that she can do it.  I hope to continue to be a strong runner (or at least exerciser) no matter what obstacles I may face in life.

Thanks!  And happy running

No comments:

Post a Comment